Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge pose
संस्कृत – सेतुबन्धासन
SETU – BRIDGE,
BANDHA – BIND/LOCK
ASANA – POSE
PRONOUNCED AS – SAY-tuh-bun-DHAHS-ana
STYLE – HATHA
CHAKRA – SVADHISHTANA/MANIPURA
LEVEL – BASIC
HOW TO DO BRIDGE POSE –
- Start with lying down position on your back and spread your both arms on side of the body.
- Bend your both knees and place your feet on the floor hip-width apart. Make sure that your ankles and knees are placed in a straight line.
- Your arms beside your body, with your palms facing downwards.
- Inhale, and lift your back (lower, upper, and middle) off the floor. Roll your shoulders in, and make sure your chin touches your chest, support your body weight, by shoulders, feet, and arms.
- Firm up your hips as you tighten them. Make sure your thighs are parallel to each other on the floor.
- Interlock your fingers and push your hands down to the ground to lift your upper back higher.
- Hold as long as you can with Deep and long breath.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BRIDGE POSE –
Extends the thoracic spine and lengthens the hip flexor and the legs.
Opens the shoulders and chest, Tones the upper-back muscles/
Calms the brain and eases anxiety and Improves digestion.
Strengthens legs, glutes and upper back.
Reduces backache, Calms the mind, and improves the mood.
Must be avoided if there is recent abdominal surgery or Spinal, knee or hip injury.
Pregnant women can practice this asana with proper guidance.